Small town, Connecticut - The next event for Julie and me is to race at World Cup I in Munich, Germany. There are three World Cups every summer, held in May, June, and July in Europe. World Cups are a great opportunity for countries to see where they stand and make changes leading up to the World Championships in August. In terms of results, the World Cups matter for our US qualification process for the World Championships. If we get top four at any of the three World Cups, we qualify ourselves in the lightweight double for the World Championships. If we don't, then the event will be contested at US Trials in early August.
It's a quick turnaround from NSR 2 to the first World Cup; time trials and heats begin a week from Friday. Entries were posted today and there are 26 boats in our event, the LW2x. Looking at who we'll be seeing on the racecourse, it's about an even split of familiar and unfamiliar names. Among the familiar lineups are the British double that placed fourth at the 2010 Worlds, one of the women from the Greek double who won gold at the 2009 Worlds, and both members of the 2009 silver medal Polish double (albeit in different doubles at this World Cup). There's also a Belgian double that I lined up next to at the Lucerne World Cup in '09. You'll notice that several of the countries have multiple entries. FISA allows this for World Cups, but not for World Championships or the Olympics.
Julie and I have our hands full with planning, packing, and practices. We'll fly over on Saturday and train in Vienna for a few days before heading to Munich. I'm not sure what our internet situation will be right away, so if you're following races, results will likely be posted here once racing starts. I think I'll be able to get more info out before then though!
No comments:
Post a Comment