Post #37
Berkeley, California - I've borrowed ITA Athlete Torin's idea for the title of this post. More photos from the Olympic Training Center and the trip up the coast are below.
My time training in Chula Vista wrapped up with some good workouts and a few chances to race the men's pairs. I was training alongside the men's heavyweight team while I was there. Imagine seeing about twenty six-foot-seven heavyweight dudes and one little five-foot-six lightweight girl. It made for some funny remarks when people saw me standing with them during the land warm-up or at the team meetings. The coaches were kind enough to time me for the race pieces we did on the water and the team cheered me on even when I came across the finish line a full two minutes behind them. The good news is that the coaches convert the times into "perecentage of Gold Medal Standard" for each boat class, so I could at least compete with them on those numbers.
I'll be training in Oakland, California out of the Cal Berkeley boathouse for the next few weeks. Julie, the woman I'm training with, went to Cal and the coaches have been nothing but welcoming to me so far. We even get to meet up with the Cal women's team for weekly core classes on campus. I've never spent more than a day or two in the San Fran area so I'm excited to see more of it. About six friends from my high school rowing club live out here now so it's great to reconnect with them. I'm hoping they'll show me all the great spots!
View of the track and lake at the OTC
The 2012 Olympic Venues Map is up at the Athlete Center!
Elephant Seals
My 2011 Tour de California traveling rig
No comments:
Post a Comment