Wednesday, July 8, 2015

New Ventures

Post # 189

Oakland, California - Over the last few weeks, I've been working on a longtime goal: to sell my photographs. I started getting into photography more seriously when I started traveling for rowing and had a decent camera to take along with me. Over the next few years, I captured tens of thousands of images, learned how to use my camera more effectively, started working with a tripod (a lifesaver) and understood how to get my printer to produce just the image that I wanted. After enough people suggested that I should sell them, I put together a store on my website to collect orders. Click to check it out.

It's always fun to hear the story of how someone captured a photograph, so here goes:


Taken: spring 2014
I'd had my eye on Treasure Island for a long time. It sits in the middle of SF Bay, halfway between San Francisco and Oakland and I knew it would have incredible city views. I roped a few friends into coming along, and we made an event out of it. I took about 250 photographs before we packed up the car and headed home. On the way to the onramp, I saw this view. I pulled the car over, jumped out, quickly set up the tripod (it was a bit of a dicey spot to be standing) and snapped a couple before running back to the car. They turned out to be the best of the evening. 


Taken: fall 2011
My best friend's parents were in town, so we'd spent the day showing them all the sights in San Francisco: Ghirardelli, the Golden Gate, Crissy Field, Chinatown, etc. They were staying in an apartment that they told us we had to check out. When I saw the sweet balcony overlooking the Embarcadero, North Beach, and the Bay Bridge, I was so thankful I had my camera in hand. I spent a solid hour out there getting shots of everything, but this one was the clear winner.


Taken: fall 2013
This is my bestselling image, and it was the least planned of all of them. Funny how that works. It was early fall - perhaps the most beautiful time of year in Oakland. I was coaching Artemis Rowing on one of those quiet fall evenings that has a lazy summer feel to it. I took a couple hundred photographs of the kids rowing, and snapped this one of the city skyline and Port of Oakland when we were spinning the boats to go back the other way. The colors and iconic cranes get me every time. 


Taken: spring 2011
Remember when California got rain? That's when this was taken. My first-ever trip to San Francisco was in March 2011 to train with Julie Nichols for a month. We were both training alone at the time and wanted a training buddy for the upcoming NSR in singles, so I headed west (I was living in Madison at the time). What stands out to me most about that trip was RAIN. I remember calling a friend and saying, "I really didn't know it was possible for this much water to fall from the sky." It was relentless. But that wasn't going to stop me from exploring, so I grabbed my camera and headed to the Golden Gate Bridge on an afternoon off. When I reviewed the pictures afterwards, I put all the bridge ones aside for this unexpected gem. I love the colors, the detail, and the simplicity of it. I always imagined this photograph would be hung in a little nook someone's house - a photograph you'd unexpectedly discover, much like this flower next to the Golden Gate. 

No comments: