Post # 181
Oakland, California - I got to Boston on Thursday morning after a redeye flight and it was nonstop action until I touched down at SFO this morning. I loved that the long weekend was filled with family and friend time: eating my mom's apple crisp while catching up around the table, throwing a foxtail around the back yard with my dad and the pup, going out to dinner with my brother and his girlfriend, and sharing stories and laughs with plenty of old friends. Oh, and there were a few practices and a race, too.
Head of the Charles is the only regatta where people from all ages and skill levels - from novice to elite - regularly compete, making it a massive reunion. This was the 50th anniversary of the regatta that began with a few people racing down the river and has grown into a two-day event featuring 400,000 spectators and over 10,000 competitors. The regatta organizers hosted an anniversary gala on Saturday night where they commemorated the history of this iconic race. It was a pretty special feeling to be in a room with 1,000 other people who have such a love for the storied rowing tradition that is Head of the Charles. It made me remember the joy of watching crews race by from the banks of the river as a kid, long before I ever touched an oar.
I raced on Saturday afternoon and was happy with how it went and where I am in my training right now. I came in fourth place in the championship single. Gevvie Stone, a local competitor, crushed it and took the win. The full results are here, and here's a good shot of my pain cave grimace in the last 1k.
One of the guys on the Hudson support staff showed me the swiss army knife he bought at the regatta that featured the same picture of me that was on the banners around town. I went to the Victorinox tent, told them that those were my legs, and they hooked me up with a free one! Kind of creepy, but strangely cool.
One more thing: congrats to Ben True and Sarah Groff, who got married this past weekend, officiated by the lovely Amory Rowe. A "true" ITA wedding!

2 comments:
"A true ITA wedding": is that the Indoor Tanning Association or the International Trombone Association?
Clearly I haven't spent any time with the Indoor Tanning Association :) That'd be In the Arena ! http://www.in-the-arena.org/Athletes.aspx
Post a Comment