Princeton, New Jersey - If there's one thing that's consistent about rowing (and really, life) it's that it's always changing.
Kate and I started training in the double after returning from our last round of Trials in New Jersey but shortly thereafter, she had to get a very random but essential surgery. Everything went really well at the hospital and, in true Kate style, she was such a champ about all of it. In terms of rowing, we knew pretty quickly that she'd be unable to compete at doubles trials. So after talking to Kate (who is dealing beautifully with the difficult task of recovery, I might add), Bernhard and I called up a few other lightweights to try to make a new doubles combination for Trials. Nancy Miles was super interested and was miraculously at CRC the next day to row with me. Nancy is a student at Stanford and stroked last year's US lightweight quad to a silver medal in Korea. The energy and enthusiasm that this twenty-one year old brings to the double is awesome, and she has a great work ethic as well. She's been a fun person to get to know and work with. We only had a week or two to row the double in California, but have already made some great progress. I'm happy with how far we've come in a short time.
Nancy and I flew to New Jersey last week for what will be my eighteenth regatta at this course by her count. Not sure whether to be proud or slightly depressed about that one. We'll be racing Trials next week and so far the entries show just us and the Oklahoma City double of Michelle Sechser and Devery Karz gunning for the line. Those were the two who represented the US at the World Cup in France earlier this year.
None of us really had any time to digest this turn of events because it unfolded so quickly, but if it's possible for the dust to settle this year, maybe this is it. Kate and I had to let go of the idea of racing the double together. I had to adapt really quickly to rowing behind a new person with a new style. Nancy and I had to get to know each other both as racers and people in a short amount of time. Bernhard had to decide whether this new double even stood a chance at Trials.
Only now do I realize that this big challenge is actually really great for me - and probably for all of us. If things were always normal and comfortable and we weren't forced to test ourselves in new and different ways, we wouldn't learn how to deal with difficult situations. Rowing has taught me that as much as you want the path to success to be as straightforward as possible, it takes you on what feels like the most roundabout, strange way and leaves you wondering whether you're even on the same path you started on.
It's kind of like this. (Credit here)
I'm lucky to have the support of my teammates, clients, roommates, friends, family, and everyone else back in California that make a trip - heck, a season - like this possible. Is this life's way of keeping me on my toes?

3 comments:
I love the drawing--so true! We're cheering for you!
Always something new to learn. Always something to gain.
When's the racing start?
Thanks, Ann and Laurel. Racing is on Wednesday August 6. I'll post a link to where the results will be and any live video, if they're providing it. Miss you both!
Post a Comment