Monday, June 16, 2014

Youth Nationals

Post # 170

This weekend was the Youth National Championships in Sacramento and for the first time ever, Artemis had several boats racing there. Of the three doubles that competed (two girls' boats and one boys' boat), two of them reached the finals and both ended up with 16th place finishes. That's seriously awesome for a group of freshmen and sophomores making their first appearance at Nationals. By the way, one of the girls' doubles was also the one featured in Row2k's Photo of the Day last week - and for good reason!!

The bonds created in high school rowing are so strong that they last well beyond senior year. Case in point: my high school coach is visiting the Bay Area for the week and I get to see him this afternoon AND at a big reunion dinner tomorrow for all of the Community Rowing alums in the area. It's been ten years since I graduated high school (scary) but every time we all get back together, we fall right back into reminiscing about the good times we had in high school. I'm so fortunate to have had that experience and to hold onto so many great friends from it.

Here's a BIG congrats to all the Artemis kids - I can't wait to see you guys later today!

No comments: