Oakland, California - I'm not one to watch commencement speeches. I've heard a few pretty good ones, but otherwise the ones I've listened to or watched haven't been that memorable.
That's why this commencement speech is worth sharing. One of my teammates just graduated from Middlebury and told me I had to watch the commencement speech, delivered by none other than Diana Nyad. Diana is a long-distance swimmer who, among other incredible achievements, completed the first swim from Cuba to Florida last summer. In this speech, she describes how she goes about squeezing every last drop out of life. She challenges the audience to live a life so full and wonderful that you can look back on it and say with confidence that you couldn't have done it any better.
As we hiked the hours away together, my teammate told me she couldn't have had a more perfect speech given to her at her commencement. And even though it wasn't my own graduation, I think Diana's speech is a reminder for all of us: life has its ups and downs, but in the end, you just have to ask yourself the fingernail question. Take a look:
1 comment:
So true! Just do it and then do it again.
Post a Comment