Head of the Charles has wrapped up and it was a great weekend. Kate, my doubles partner, won the whole thing! Pretty impressive considering she is a lightweight racing in the heavyweight (open) event.
I came in sixth, which I'm really happy with. It was my first time racing the Championship Single and I'm so glad I got to see where I stack up against some of the fastest scullers in the world, heavyweight or lightweight. An opportunity like that doesn't come along too often.
It was so cool that my parents, family friends, Amory, and her whole family were there to cheer me on. They stationed themselves in the middle of the last big turn, which turned out the be the perfect spot. It's towards the end of the race, when your lungs and legs are burning, and it's in a traditionally quiet spot in the race course (no bridges for people to stand on in that section). I loved getting some positive energy there!
The Artemis girls raced on Sunday and did an awesome job navigating the tough course with 83 other youth eights. And it was their first time racing an 8 at the Charles!
The racing was definitely the most fun part of the weekend, but the most unique experience was being the subject of a full moon photoshoot on Friday night. My buddies at Row2k invited me to come down and row towards the Boston skyline right as the moon came up. Pretty neat:
Photo by Erik Dresser/Row2k
It was great to catch up with so many old friends and teammates at the Charles. My only complaint was that it all went by too fast. See you next year, HOCR!

No comments:
Post a Comment