Wednesday, October 3, 2012

Oakland Youth Rowing

Post #113

Oakland, California - As part of my ITA community work this fall, I've been coaching the youth programs at Oakland Rowing Association. Oakland Rowing is a club that started last year and is open to kids and adults from around the East Bay. We're growing fast and getting lots of people involved in the sport. In the youth programs, we've got mostly middle school and young high school kids, which is pretty crazy for me to see. I didn't know what rowing was when I was in eighth grade, and it's amazing to see how much some of my eighth graders (or the sixth graders) already know about rowing!

Much to their dismay, I've introduced some of my favorite college workouts to the boys' team over the past few weeks. They've done awesome on them though, and we've already made tons of progress in both fitness and technique. We've got a big intra-team scrimmage this Saturday (boys versus girls, it's on!) and our first race is less than two weeks away in Sacramento.

If you're interested in keeping up with Oakland Rowing, follow us on Twitter and like us on Facebook. And let me know if you want to come join the club and learn how to row!

The boys in doubles and quads 

 Our boathouse

The girls in doubles with San Fran in the background


Post-practice sunset at the boathouse


No comments: