Post #112
Over the last month, I've gotten to be part of several events honoring US Olympians. While I was home in Boston, I joined with other New England Olympians at Fenway Park and walked out onto the field before the game. I've been going to Fenway for games since I was a kid, so it was incredible to actually get to go out onto the field and hear the cheers from my hometown crowd. Gymnast Aly Raisman, Judo champ Kayla Harrison, and two women's basketball players threw out the first pitches.
With ITA-er, Olympic mountain biker, and Vermonter Lea Davison at Fenway Park. #12 for the 2012 Olympics.
Singing the national anthem at Fenway. Gymanst Aly Raisman is second from the right and Judo champ Kayla Harrison is third from the right.
Last weekend, I flew out to Washington, DC to join the entire US Olympic and Paralympic team in meeting the President. We landed, went straight to a reception hosted by Olympic sponsors, and woke up the next morning ready for the big event. We were so jet lagged but super excited at the same time. We mingled on the South Lawn of the White House for about two hours before taking our seats and waiting for the President. I sat right behind Michael Phelps. First Lady Michelle Obama and President Obama spoke, and their messages made me proud to have represented our country. Afterwards, he told his advisors to change his schedule because he wanted to meet each and every one of us. How awesome is that? I got to shake his hand, Vice President Biden's hand, and got a hug from Michelle. They are incredibly down to earth and kind people. Here's the video from the event and it features one of my rowing teammates, Natalie Dell. Also, see if you can spot me sitting behind Michelle!
Washington Monument and the Reflecting Pool on a morning run in DC
Today I joined with other Bay Area Olympians for a recognition at the Oakland Raiders game. We got VIP treatment from start to finish. We started with a tour of the training facility, then got a police-escorted bus to the stadium, watched pre-game practice on the field, saw most of the game from a suite, and went back onto the field during halftime to be recognized. The crowd went crazy when they realized we had represented our country in London. I thought I felt supported before, but to hear an entire stadium full of people screaming in support of your achievements brings it to a whole new level.
With one of my favorite Olympians, swimmer Natalie Coughlin
All of the Bay Area Olympians at the Raiders game
Each of these post-Olympic experiences have blown me away. I've been able to meet and connect with so many amazing athletes: a discus thrower, javelin throwers, sprinters, swimmers, water polo players, mountain bikers, a luger, triathletes, kayakers...the list goes on and on. Everyone has gone through so much to get to the point where they can call themselves an Olympian and it's easy for us to find common ground over the hard work and dedication it took to achieve our dreams.
When Michelle Obama addressed all of us at the White House, she recognized that becoming Olympians happened when no one was watching. It was the early mornings, months or years before the Games, days when we were exhausted but pushing through the training because we believed that someday, it would pay off. That is so true, but also so easy to forget when we're wrapped up in these post-Olympic celebrations. If I think back to all the hours of hard work it took to get here, or, even worse, all the hours it would take to do it all over again, it's completely overwhelming. At some point I think I'll crave the hard work again, but for now, I'm enjoying the celebrations and not thinking about it too much.
When Michelle Obama addressed all of us at the White House, she recognized that becoming Olympians happened when no one was watching. It was the early mornings, months or years before the Games, days when we were exhausted but pushing through the training because we believed that someday, it would pay off. That is so true, but also so easy to forget when we're wrapped up in these post-Olympic celebrations. If I think back to all the hours of hard work it took to get here, or, even worse, all the hours it would take to do it all over again, it's completely overwhelming. At some point I think I'll crave the hard work again, but for now, I'm enjoying the celebrations and not thinking about it too much.
1 comment:
Kristin! awesome post. i'm so proud of you. i've been meaning to write you an email forever. congrats on everything. i've been following along and cheering for you and i couldn't be more proud. way to go!
Post a Comment