Saturday, January 29, 2011

Staying Flexible

Post #34

Madison, Wisconsin - When I originally arrived in Madison from the Florida trip, I was expecting to leave for training in San Diego within a couple days. I had talked the plan through with my coach here at Wisco as well as the people I would be training with in SD. I was working out the logistics and getting ready to go. I was excited to be getting on the water again in a matter of days. I was pumped about having a real bed to sleep in soon (I had just sold mine in Madison thinking I wouldn't need it anymore). So when I got a phone call saying that I'd have to hold off coming to San Diego for another three weeks, I was taken off guard.

If there's one thing I've learned about rowing at the elite level (ok, there are a ton of things I've learned, but bear with me), it's to stay flexible with my plans. When I graduated from college, I wasn't very good at dealing with change. If my future plans didn't work out the way I had imagined in my head, it took a long time for me to swallow. But after a few years of constantly changing plans, living in so many different places, and experiencing lots of different things, I've like to think I've learned to roll with the changes. It's about making the best of the situation, even if it's not what you thought it would be. Yes, staying in Madison meant more erg time and less water time, but I committed to just getting as strong as I could in these three weeks. Staying in Madison also meant sleeping more nights on friends' air mattresses and couches instead of a real bed, but I have wonderful friends who are willing to host me and who make me feel right at home. Perhaps the best part about staying in Madison has been the opportunity to spend a lot more time in Ms. Feingold's 3rd grade classroom. I've logged lots of hours there over the past few weeks and gotten to know the kids so much better. We've been working on geography projects and letters to their parents for Valentine's Day and I've been loving it.

One last thing: I'm so thankful that my nomadic lifestyle has brought out the incredibly supportive side of those around me. I realize that when my plans change, it doesn't just affect me; it affects the people I live with, train with, work with, and rely on. I owe a huge, sincere thanks to everyone here in Madison who has also rolled with the changes in my plans and adjusted their lives to let me train here. I couldn't keep the dream alive without you.

3rd grade geography projects: salt dough molds of the US!

My current living situation: air mattress + suitcases

Leftovers from Florida. Credit: H. Hunsberger

View of the boats from the back of the truck on the trip home. I think we were somewhere in Tennessee.
Credit: H. Hunsberger

No comments: