Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Best Holiday Treat

Post #33

Madison, Wisconsin - While in Cocoa Beach last week, something arrived that has been a long time coming. For the first time in my 10-year rowing career, I finally own my own boat. I have been thinking about getting one ever since I started training in the single full-time in 2008. I've been renting a friend's boat for 2+ years and during that time, I began test driving (test rowing?) many different boats and poring over my finances to see if I could make it happen. I finally settled on ordering a red Fluidesign in December. Once it was built in Canada, it was shipped in a big semi truck down to Florida where I eagerly awaited its arrival. Unwrapping it and seeing the bright color and smooth, flawless boat was truly a special moment. Continuing to be able to afford it over the next few years will be a challenge, but for the moment, I could not be more thrilled with it.

The best surprise? Golden shoes.

View from the bow

In action on day 1

The next step is to name the boat. I named the red one I used to rent "Lola" after the character with bright red hair in "Run Lola Run." This one needs a name too, and I'm taking suggestions, so feel free to email me with ideas!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was wondering if you had gotten a boat? Congrats! She's a beauty! If I come up with any fabulous name ideas, I will be sure to pass them along to you.