Friday, August 22, 2014

Whirlwind

Post # 176

Amsterdam, The Netherlands - I'm not sure I could've been more spot on with foreshadowing the rest of my summer more in my "Constantly Changing" post from late July.

I last left off at Trials, where Nancy and I raced the final of the lightweight double.

Nancy and me, two days before our final race together

We came in three seconds behind the Oklahoma double. With that result, we'd failed to punch tickets to the World Championships in Amsterdam. My long, crazy season was over.

Or so I thought. I was visiting my family in Boston when I got a call that one of the girls in the lightweight quad heading to Worlds got injured on a training run and it wasn't looking like she was going to be able to race in Amsterdam. They needed someone to fill in, and they needed it to happen fast. I was in Philadelphia for practice the next morning and jumped into the quad with the talented team of Hillary, Sarah, and Mary. Two days later, we were on a flight to Europe.

The three of them have been training in the quad for the majority of the summer, so when I joined them, I wanted to make the transition as smooth as possible and not mess up the good stuff they had going. We've now had a week together in the boat (hooray!) and are starting to feel more comfortable rowing together.

Amsterdam so far has been...rainy. Every five minutes the weather changes between pouring rain/thunder/wind to pockets of sun and warmth. The course has been filling up more every day and by now most countries are here. My favorite parts of pre-race week are seeing athletes, coaches, and support staff - either from different countries or just different parts of the US - that I haven't seen in a while and feeling the anticipation of racing build by the day. Only two more days until the start of racing and three more days until my LW4x races our heat. Go USA!

- Full schedule of racing
- Results page
- Gallery of us training together in Philadelphia
- Press release on the switch



No comments: