Thursday, May 2, 2013

NSR 1 Wrap-Up & Southwest Regionals

Post # 130

I'm back in California after a busy week of racing at the NSR. I came away with a second place finish in the final, which I'm happy with. Kate Bertko, the winner, blew us all away with her speed this week. She's new to lightweight rowing, though not at all new to the elite rowing scene; she's been racing as a heavyweight sculler for Team USA for the past five years and just made the switch to lightweight this year. All credit to her for that race. She did awesome.

This week is another busy one, this time on the Artemis Rowing front. We're leaving for the Southwest Regional Championships on Friday. We'll be facing 32 other clubs from the southwest quarter of the country for a regional ranking and the opportunity to qualify for the national championship. The team can hardly contain their excitement; everyone was running around with so much energy as we loaded up the trailer with boats and equipment last night. I'm super excited for all of them too. They've worked so hard this year and they get to see all of their hard work pay off in the next few days.

Boys' lightweight four practicing on the estuary

2 comments:

Ann said...

I wish these blogs had "Like" buttons so I could "Like" the posts! Nice job at NSR against tough competition!

Kristin Hedstrom said...

Thanks Ann - wish I could "like" your comment!