Sunday, December 2, 2012

GOTR Final 5k

Post # 118

Yesterday was the fall season Final 5k for the Girls on the Run of the Bay Area. I'm no longer a coach for GOTR but I volunteer with them every so often. Yesterday I was a Running Buddy for Mia, a speedster from Oakland. Running buddies are assigned to each girl who runs the 5k and their job is to help encourage them. It's great because the entire community of runners gets pulled together through the Running Buddy program; it's not just the girls running the 5k.

The morning of the 5k, it was pouring rain. As we gathered pre-race, it was coming down in sheets and we were all huddled underneath our umbrellas. The race went off anyway and despite the weather, it was such a fun time. I couldn't believe how positive Mia and the girls around her were. Even though we were splashing through big puddles, she kept on running, hitting her landmarks, and encouraging girls around her that she didn't even know before the race. I love how sports can teach you to band together as a team and help each other stay positive even if the situation isn't perfect. There were a lot of soggy clothes, tired girls, and big smiles after the race.

Luckily after a week of rain, the blue sky returned this afternoon. I'm excited to get back out on the water tomorrow morning. With last week's gusts of 50 mph, it's been too windy to row for an entire week now!

No comments: