Friday, August 10, 2012

Olympics: final week

Post #109

London, England - It's already been six days since the rowing competition wrapped up. With an 11th place finish overall at the Olympics, the racing didn't end the way we wanted it to. We had shown good speed earlier in the season, but when the final race came, we were unable to keep pace with many of the teams we had earlier on in the year, and even within the regatta. The Olympics are the biggest stage I've ever been on and it's difficult to feel like you didn't have your best performance when it mattered the most. It hit me harder than I thought it would and it'll probably take me a while to process all of this.

For now, I'm trying to enjoy the last few days of the Olympics. My team and I have moved into the main athlete village in London and it is incredible here. There are so many athletes from all over the world - way more countries than we had at the rowing village. My family and a couple friends were able to come in for a few hours and get a quick tour. The dining hall is easily the most impressive sight; feeding 10,500 athletes isn't an easy feat and requires a gigantic space to make it happen. Below are some photos from the last few days.

Lastly, good luck to Lea Davison, an ITA athlete who will be competing in mountain biking in London tomorrow!

ITA at the London Olympics


Me and my bro

Football Field sized Main Athlete Dining Hall





 I got to go to the gold medal beach volleyball game: USA vs. USA!

No comments: