Sunday, June 17, 2012

Happy Father's Day

Post # 101

Oakland, California - Athletes require a special kind of parental support. We're dedicating our lives to be the very best at something, and it takes a lot of energy, support, and love on the parents' side of things to make that happen.

Me and my dad in the late 80s

At the beginning of an athletic career, there are years when you're just not that good at your sport. You're learning the ropes, working your way up the ranks, but sometimes it's slow-going. You hit bumps along the way. You have ups and downs as you try to improve and reach each goal you've set for yourself. Then there is that time, whether it's a specific moment or a gradual development, when you decide to pursue your sport full-time. It must sound like a crazy proposition to a parent: "hey, so I'm going to go into debt for the next few years, training for a sport with little to no financial support, all with no guarantee that I'll make the National Team. And while I'm at it, I'll be putting off my 'real life' career - the one I actually went to college to study."

"You're crazy," is the thought that could've crossed my dad's mind, but I don't think it ever did. He was all-in from the beginning, there for me as I worked my way up the ranks, when I hit bumps, and when I set big goals. He's encouraged me to chase my dreams every step of the way. He has come to races all over the country and world, and when he can't be there, you can bet he's sitting at his computer (sometimes in the middle of the night, depending on what time zone I'm in) to watch my races live. Then he's analyzing all the results and delivering carefully crafted emails to my inbox with his take on everyone's strategies and his words of encouragement for what's next.

With my two biggest fans, after winning silver at the 2010 World Championships

P&G released a "Thank You, Mom" video for the upcoming Olympics that is worth a watch.  I think it should be "Thank You, Mom and Dad." 

No comments: