Sunday, September 18, 2011

Girls on the Run

Post #65

Oakland, California - Since the World Championships, I spent a little time relaxing and traveling but now I'm back in California and back to training. On my drive out here, I went through the salt flats in Utah, which are just west of Salt Lake City. The salt flats are like a massive desert, but with hard packed salt underfoot instead of sand. When I was there, it was a perfect day: 4:30 pm, 85 degrees, and gorgeous. It looked like the land went on forever.


Once I made it out to California, I jumped right in with Girls on the Run. I'm new to the program, but I already love it. I'm one of three coaches for the Lake Merritt Healthy Hearts team. The girls are great and we are quickly getting to know each other and settling into the season.

Holding up our Girls on the Run cord

Warming up for the workout

On the rowing side of things, I am leaving in less than three weeks for Head of the Charles. The Charles is one of my favorite races since it's in my hometown. Plus it's a giant reunion of high school, college, and national team friends from over the years. What's not to love?! I'll be racing in the lightweight single on October 23. More to come later on that!

1 comment:

Torin Koos said...

Swung through the Great Salt Lake. Next time bring the boats and teach me how! Nice racing at the W.C. -T