Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Countdown to U.S. Trials

Post #20

Bellingham, Washington - It's 9:30 am here on the west coast and my quad got off the water about an hour ago from a thirteen mile row. The weather in the Pacific Northwest is not what I'm used to. There are lots of foggy, rainy days which means that often times, we'll be on the water and find ourselves completely engulfed in fog. It can be a little scary until you find the land and get your bearings! Below are some photos from this morning's workout.




Training here has been going well. We are working very hard and putting in our miles on Lake Samish. Things are beginning to ramp up as as we head into racing. We leave for U.S. Trials in Princeton, New Jersey in eleven days and begin racing in fifteen. Trials is a best-two-out-of-three format, so the team that wins two of the three trials races qualifies to represent the USA at the World Championships.

This year's Worlds are particularly special because they are in the southern hemisphere meaning that the seasons are switched. It is currently late winter/early spring in New Zealand, so Worlds have been pushed back until November to ensure that it is warm enough to hold a World Championship regatta. This has significantly changed everyone's training because we are used to having Worlds in late August! The website for the regatta, which I've heard is supposed to be an amazing event, is HERE.

It has been a while since I last updated my ITA blog as I've been busy with my quad's blog. Now I'm back at it with this one, so check back on the usual two-week intervals and, for your super fans out there, I'll still be keeping up with the Bellingham Quad's blog HERE.

No comments: